Sunday, 23 November 2014

Recycling Christmas!

It's a quiet Sunday here as a planned breakfast out for Super Star's Birthday has turned into staying in with the still recuperating Bella. The vets have said it will be up and down and that is indeed what it is turning out to be. Mind you, the veranda, the Sunday papers and a yummoh muesli with strawberries straight from the garden really isn't a chore!

Over at Anything But A Card we do a 5 Challenge when there are 5 weeks in the month.
My contribution for this November was to be totally different....lots of components done and ready to be put together until....

I was digging about in a box looking for something else and I came across this rather bedraggled Ginger Doll Banner made way before Time To Create and a blog, even before a reasonable camera.

 When I want a very sturdy backing board I often use the covers of wallpaper or fabric sample books.
There is so much that we can recycle, it's a matter of looking really! I sliced the book apart and gave one cover a quick coat of gesso.

Each of the five  Ginger Dolls got a little paint job and a tiny bit of cosmetic work.

The LOVE from the original banner was rather saggy and daggy. I didn't bother to look for any scrap paper. Even though I sometimes hoard paper pieces, I also love using bits to create complex paper designs.
A search through some oldish papers gave me two with compatible colours. Backing it all with a sparkly green card stock, freshened everything up. Christmas and Glitter go together!

As I wanted a strong finish to the edges - my piece is going out onto our verandah, when we decorate for Christmas, I used book tape from the hardware. I rather like the possibilities this tape has!

To finish off there is a little Darkroom Door Stamping. I also finger sponged a pretty blue Inka Gold onto the background.

Christmas celebrations will be quite different for us this year and I am hoping that a couple of our young visitors will be charmed by some of the decorations I am doing this year. My five Ginger Dolls now have a new magic about them.

Piece measures 40cm X 65cm
 There's nothing like a makeover is there?
What can you do with FIVE? Five anything! Please come and join us!

Created For 
Anything But A Card - 5 Challenge

Challenges Entered
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - November Stamps this is the first time I have played here!
Christmas Stamping All Year Round - Anything Goes
Crimbo Crackers - Buttons - Ginger dolls must have cute button eyes
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Always Altered

Friday, 21 November 2014

Choose You Own...

Christmas Story that is!
Hello and thank you for dropping by.
My cards today are my version of Christmas GBS..that is, Grungy But Simple.

I have been exploring a new product in store at Time To Create. It is Viva Decor Paper Soft Color.
It is unlike any other colouring product I have used.

The ink is held in these wide based jars and a sponge sits over the ink. You can then use spouncers, sponges and brushes to pick up your colour. Each will give a different look.
 It is also a remarkably economical way to add colour.

The cards today are all one layer ones which started with sponging the entire card base. How you add the colour is personal, I wanted a grungy scratchy look.

Celebrating the rich diversity of birds that are out in the garden busily raising their young I worked with a selection of bird stamps from Chocolate Baroque ---- there is of course marvellous Christmas ones available too. I like to mix things up!

By keeping my cards to one layer I have kept the time to make them and the postage costs down. They do need an insert in them though to give a little more oomph!

As an aside, most unwelcome visitors arrived here yesterday, all the way from Indonesia. The Cuckoo Shrikes now have every bird in the neighbourhood ganged up against them. I even go out and clap and yell to discourage them from finding our hardworking bird's nests!

With this type of card making you can be quite adventurous in what you combine together. On Let Your Heart Sing the blue dots and edging of blue really makes the image pop doesn't it?

Another excellent aspect to this type of stamping is you do not have to colour every element. Only the birds, leaves and branches are coloured with Tria Pens on this lovely collage. Change the colours - change the design!
We have had a very busy week. Sweet Bella is home from the vet's but still needs a lot of attention. The vet is pleased with her progress though. How close we came to losing her!

Angel is so happy that Bella's back that she is right beside her all the time and is quite content to watch the world go by with her.
Mmmm that sounds like a good plan.
Have a Super Weekend everyone!


Challenges Entered
The Artistic Stamper - Christmas
Chocolate, Coffee & Cards - Favourite Holiday - definitely Christmas especially with visiting children this year
Emerald Faeries -Christmas Non Traditional Colours - Both colours and stamps are non traditional

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...